2016 Gone and DoneThe year flew by with lots of happenings...since I failed to maintain the blog in a timely and updated fashion....I'll have to settle for a recap of some of the highlights.
Some noteworthy items include:
- Having the opportunity to work part-time! While I'd had ideas of quitting work completely and trying the SAHM gig, when given the chance to stay working at only 3 days a week - I couldn't pass it up. It's been a major adjustment; I had expectations that I would be Super Mom-Super Worker-Super Wife on this new schedule and I haven't mastered any of those (or even come close!)...there still doesn't seem to be enough time to get anything done, I'm swamped at work, terribly behind on my to-do list at home....but I love the flexibility it gives me and the extra time with the kiddos to join them for lunch at school and to attend their school parties, to have the ability to schedule appointments and not worry about how I will get 40 hours in...it's an arrangement that I'm truly, truly, truly thankful for!
- Mark and I getting away on our first KID FREE vacation together since having kids! We had a sunny and spectacular time in Mexico...and are thrilled that the grandparents enjoyed the time with the little ones....so we'll hope to do that again!
- Bryce graduated from Pre-K!
- Brianne graduating from KinderFrogs! This school was our safe haven (the bubble!) and most amazing place EVER. It was a tearful/emotional time leaving...but they truly did everything they could to prepare B for Kindergarten - and the world beyond!
- I attended the National Down Syndrome Convention in Orlando over the summer. This was phenomenal and I wish I could go every year! My favorite session was lead by two individuals, both who had Down syndrome, who presented on how they have achieved independent living. Inspirational and exciting to see the possibilities!
- Brianne and Bryce no longer require the 'blue step' to reach the light switches...thankfully Brooke still needs it so we don't have to retire it yet!
- Brianne and Bryce starting KINDERGARTEN! We are ecstatic that Brianne
is included in a typical classroom and has made friends. Bryce has
adjusted to the new routine, he loves math, and has also made friends. I
love that my part-time schedule allows me to join them for lunch and to
volunteer and attend the class parties and big events.
- Bryce has learned to make his own peanut butter, nutella, and banana sandwiches....and even a bear face version using blueberries...
- Bryce started playing Ice Hockey!
- Traveling to Canada for my sister-in-law's beautiful wedding and to have the kiddos see/meet their cousins - and a quick detour to see the Falls!
- Thanksgiving was a fun-filled time with family and included a bounce house at Grandma's house!
- Brooke's favorite things include baby dolls and Minnie Mouse.
- Bryce lost the training wheels!
- Brianne is READING! She is a site word guru and is sounding out words quite impressively!
- Brooke and I escaped to NY to visit my parents, Grandma, family, and friends...we coincided our travels pretty perfectly with a lake effect snowstorm - but we made it and loved our time in WNY.
- Christmas was spent at home and it is a magical time of year with little ones that eagerly countdown until Santa's arrival. I loved waking up to hear Bryce whispering "Brianne - Santa came - and he brought your doll house - and it's bigger than I am."
2017 is already plowing ahead with no plans of slowing down. I'm hoping to soak it all in and enjoy it....with goals of writing more, working on developing photography skills, fitting in another kid-free vacation with my love, spending less time mindlessly surfing thru social media, to spend more time reading books for me, spend more time reading books with the kids, I plan to try out new restaurants, new parks, new adventures, I have hopes of removing clutter and getting organized...but also realizing my house may never be 'guest ready/sparkly clean' but to not let that stop be from inviting friends over.
Here's to making 2017 a year full of love and laughter!